Business Wire: B2B Online Media Report - Of the Sourcing Websites, Global Sources and Alibaba Continue To Have the Most Sophisticated Online So
Last update: 4:00 a.m. EDT Oct. 17, 2008
DUBLIN, Ireland, Oct 17, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Research and Markets ( http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/0cf56f/b2b_online_media_r) has announced the addition of the "B2B Online Media Report" report to their offering.
- The top 30 Asian online B2B media companies continue to be dominated by consumer merchandise sourcing websites. Of the 30 in our ranking, 19 are primarily finished goods sourcing websites or online trade directories. There are an additional 5 websites that are vertical industry websites and the remaining 6 are trade titles - mostly technology-focused.
- The top 10 continue to be quite stable. Once again, Alibaba.com held onto the top position and most other websites only moved one or two positions. There are two new entrants to the top 10, Indiamart and TradeIndia.
- The top 10 continues to be dominated by sourcing websites such as Global Sources and Alibaba.com. There are only two non-sourcing sites in the top 10 - Itmedia.co.jp and Chinabyte.com, both of which are technology-focused trade titles.
- There was more volatility in the bottom half of the list. Six websites moved up or down by nine places or more. There were three new entrants - Toocle.com, Chinavasion.com and Asiannet.com. Toocle.com, owned by Hangzhou-based Netsun, debuted highest at #14.
- The ranking table continues to be dominated by sourcing websites which typically generate revenues by charging suppliers to list their products online. Other businesses in our top 30 generate revenues through selling banner ads or by charging for premium content and subscriptions.
- Of the sourcing websites, Global Sources and Alibaba continue to have the most sophisticated online sourcing platforms and both firms are aggressively adding to the portfolio of services that they offer to buyers and suppliers using their platforms - including proprietary industry research, voice and instant messaging services, verification services and third party data.
- Global Sources probably has the most diverse source of revenues compared with its competitors. In addition to its online sourcing platform, Global Sources has a viable print-based trade catalogue business and it operates a series of sourcing exhibitions in Hong Kong, China, India and Dubai. Alibaba.com generates the vast majority of its revenues from suppliers subscribing to one its two key marketplaces. However, through its parent company, the Alibaba Group, Alibaba.com will in the future have strong opportunities to diversify its revenue base through reselling services from Taobao.com, Alisoft and Alipay to its supplier base. In 2007, the company reported revenues of over US$1 million from reselling Alisoft, a back office software solution targeting Chinese SMEs.
- Amongst the online business publishers, the most significant in terms of traffic are ITmedia (#2), a Japanese media company targeting IT professionals and ChinaByte (#6), the partner of TechTarget in China and in which Rupert Murdoch's News Corp is also an investor. Chinabyte is focused on targeting technology professionals in China.
- Vertical industry sites continue to be a segment which BSG considers to be worth monitoring. Hangzhou-based Netsun now controls all five of the top 30 vertical industry websites. They are Toocle.com, Efu.com.cn, Netsun.com, Pharmnet.com.cn and Chemnet.com.cn.
BSG believes that the six key trends identified in the last edition of this report remain largely unchanged:
- Increasingly sophisticated online content and services
- Continuing importance of search engine optimisation (SEO)
- Importance of building offline awareness
- Establishing a presence in China's online domestic sourcing market
- Emphasis on deeper supplier data and verification services
- Emergence of vertical sourcing websites
Key Topics Covered:opyright Business Wire 2008
REVENUE GENERATING ACTIVITIES
IT & INTERNET
VERTICAL INDUSTRY SITES
ONLINE SOURCING IN CHINA'S DOMESTIC MARKET
EMPHASIS ON VERIFICATION SERVICES
VERTICAL SOURCING WEBSITES
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO)
CREATING OFFLINE AWARENESS
TABLE 1: TOP 10 WEBSITE GLOBALLY, ALEXA.COM RANKINGS
TABLE 2: TOP 30 B2B WEBSITES IN ASIA, ALEXA.COM RANKINGS
TABLE 3: ALEXA.COM TRAFFIC RANKINGS BY INDUSTRY TYPE
TABLE 4: INTERNET USERS IN ASIA, RANKED BY PENETRATION
TABLE 5: ESTIMATED NUMBER OF ACTIVE USERS BASED ON ALEXA.COM RANKINGS
TABLE 6: CLAIMED REGISTERED USERS
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/0cf56f/b2b_online_media_r.
SOURCE: Research and Markets Ltd.